View Single Post
Old 12-22-2022, 02:01 PM
FXLAX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by PurpleToolBox View Post
If you are an international pilot, then you understand. YES, wearing the uniform makes a big difference. In many countries and cultures, pilots are given a lot of respect and attention. In China, you CAN NOT get the duty officer exemption of not wearing the pilot uniform. Ask me how I know. In other words, you must be in uniform to operate the aircraft because China customs and rules.

I fought hard for relaxed clothing when deadheading in Business/First. Lost that battle. I fought hard for a relaxed shaving protocol. Lost that battle too. Our passenger airline partners require business casual when they deadhead; but we're expected to wear dress slacks and a dress shirt (full button down shirt) which is extra crap I have to carry in my bag.

My biggest pet peave is being in a 5-star international hotel and a pilot comes into the breakfast hall wearing a wrinkled t-shirt, workout shorts, flip flops after just waking up or working out and sweaty (hair not combed etc.etc.) when nearly most everyone else (the locals) are wearing at least business casual or a suit. I don't want to wear that either, but at least make an effort to look like you belong in a 5-star hotel. I once saw a pilot wearing a nasty old t-shirt, shorts and flip flops try to get into the business lounge. The staff stopped him initially. After joining our party, he complained that the staff was racist. Unhappy Then they ignored him and wouldn't serve him. He just didn't get it. We are our own worst enemies.
Airlines do not require business casual for their dead headers. They require the same dress code as their paying passengers. I feel it’s ridiculous that we now have more strict dress code when the previous dress code was already more restrictive than the rest of the entire industry.