View Single Post
Old 12-26-2022, 07:14 AM
threeighteen
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010

Originally Posted by WearyEyed View Post
I couldn’t agree more, but for the newbs they don’t necessarily see much incentive to stay and fight when the union is all but saying they’ve already accepted concessions. Also when we bring up clear contract violations the union response is often “we agree with the company” or “we’ve got bigger fish to fry.” Company says fly it and the union says they won’t grieve it, so where does that leave the pilot?

I had an issue that I had communicated to the PAC and fleet management regarding with no real response other than “we will look into it.” I submitted a DART and the response was we are closing your dart because you’ve been in contact with management. I responded that the company had only said they’d look into it weeks ago with no resolution so I submitted the DART. The union response was, “we consider the matter closed.” Yeah… okay, thanks for having my back. 🤬 Months later it appears I’ve lost the pay that our contract/LOA clearly says I’m due. The company ghosted me and the union ignored me.

I can and will use my vote to try to change the union leadership, I can use my vote to say no to a contract that isn’t industry leading that has no concessions, I can mentor new hires to try to shape the future of the union/company, and I can run for an elected position. I will do what needs to be done, but for someone with little time here I wouldn’t blame them for not having the stomach for the work that needs to be done and the fight that has just begun.
agreed I don’t blame newhires for bailing instead of fighting if it makes sense for them. We have a long road ahead.