View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 09:13 AM
shanKs
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: HS-125
Default Question for Intl Arrival Procedure

Hi, first post here but I have a burning question that nobody can seem to find the answer for and I'd love to pick the brains of you guys flying internationally or in Asia.

I was on a trip to Shanghai and ran into a problem concerning arrival procedures. When I'm paging through Jepps for arrivals (outside the US), the larger airports seem to have a massive amount of published arrivals but no way to plan ahead of time what arrival I will be issued.

I'll cite a specific example (see attached image):

My cleared flight plan route was a jet airway ending at "AND" VOR to DADAT int to ZSPD airport. As we approached AND we asked, but were given no specific arrival procedure until 20 seconds before arriving at the VOR and then were cleared the 22A arrival. Some quick fingers on the FMS and activating the arrival got us where we needed to go, but my question finally is - is there a way to plan ahead of time what arrival you can expect? (nothing was on the atis regarding arrivals, only runway in use for landing) I was guessing the 24A since DADAT was in my cleared route but of course I was wrong at the last minute.

I hope there is an obvious answer to someone, since these types of arrivals are new to me. Thanks in advance