Gets Weekends Off
notEnuf
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2015
  • Position
    stake holder ir.delta.com
Quote: Probably for most of the time. But here’s a scenario…. The junior CA will be on reserve for a long time. So this Easter, he’s on rsv and gets called out for a trip to Europe. The 2 FO’s are also very junior/new. At 30W approximately 3am, they blow a motor…. New CA is in the rack…. Or really first class on the ER. The ER has lots of power and will flip upside down quickly if an engine failure at altitude happens…. The only credible alternate is 500 miles south at Lajes…. BIKF is clobbered. There’s damage to the hydraulics due to the emergency. I can ensure you a new guy w/ 1515 hours (just happened at Delta new hire last week/non military guy) hasn’t ever been to LPLA. Has no idea what it looks like or that it’s usually blowing sideways w/ moderate turbulence to touchdown on most nights/days.

So the new CA and his newbie crew will probably get it in…. I sure hope for all of our behalf. But I’m telling you guys who think the NAT’s are just like going to Birmingham for the 50th time…. They aren’t. It’s very unforgiving overseas. ATC doesn’t look out for you, not to mention the language barrier. You have to be familiar with where you are and there’s no time to dig into the books when the crap hits the fan.

I’ve been across the pond many times. I was an instructor in the Navy and did checks across the pond and pacific. The NAT tracks are different and the ability to monumentally screw the pooch exponentially increases when things go wrong, with no help and no quick diverts w/ no familiar ATC there to hold your hand.

I thought I knew it all. I was an ER guy for many years back in the day. I learned so much from the old timers…. Former Pan Am guys, NWA guys who did those routes for 2-3 decades. They were great. I listened. I learned. Thought I knew it all. Not even close. You can say what you want…. But someone w/ minimum time is not prepared for that dark night w/ Mr Grim Reaper comes knocking.

It goes bad, fast.
I haven’t been to LPLA. Most haven’t. I hadn’t been to BIKF either until we started service and bid it just to see it. The 767 rolling on its back has always been the fear to keep you sharp. Many operators have grenaded those engines. I’m not familiar with one going down in a long time. The 330 on the other hand…

Yeah it’s serious business that requires planning and thought well beforehand. That’s what we do. Even the peeps we are hiring. I’m not sure I’d be as good reflexively as some of the 20 somethings at 3 am body time. My TOE was a blur and I know I stared straight ahead eyes open but unconscious. That’s why I avoid red eyes like the plague. ETOPs means everything is in the time bucket. The alternate is the alternate, period. Not even a decision as to where you’re going.