Thread: Expectations?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2023, 01:48 PM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Keep in mind you'll do a lot more stuff in 91K or 135 ops. Load bags, arrange the pax catering, vacuum the cabin, clean the trip tables, etc. Some jets with a "honeybucket" you may have to carry that outside as some FBO's won't let their employees remove it. NetJets now has an entire fleet that has externally serviced lavs. You'll likely see a new airport every trip. Ground transportation can be sketchy in small airports. I've had to ride in the handicapped bus from a community center to get from Marfa, TX to the hotel in Alpine, TX. I've also had to ride in the hotel clerks buddies beat up minivan because they was no other ground transport in Emporia, VA. We also had to dig rocks out of a ditch to chock the nosewheel with because the airport had no chocks.

Sometimes you'll keep the same jet and other pilot for the entire trip. Some companies you have to be the dispatcher and file your own flight plans, others like NetJets have professional dispatchers.

Quite a bit different from the 121 world. Most over 65 guys I flew with were great, but some didn't last long after the reality set in.

Pay is getting close to regional airline rates. I can only speak for NetJets but when I gave up my medical in spring 2017 I had made a little over $200K the previous 12 months as a 12yr light cabin PIC.