Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Expectations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 02:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Default Expectations?

For a 121 captain retiring, what can one expect to receive in the 135/Corporate world?

Would he be hired as a Captain or have to sit as an FO for a while and if so, how long?

If hired as a captain, what pay could he expect on say a Hawker 800, or a Gulfstream? What would be considered to be so low as to avoid?

How much as an FO?

Is most flying simply to fly somewhere and sit a few days or is it out and back?

What is the best way to look for a job, go to local airports?

Do the companies pay for training?

Other expectations?
Old 02-11-2023, 03:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by Strenyakov View Post
For a 121 captain retiring, what can one expect to receive in the 135/Corporate world?

Would he be hired as a Captain or have to sit as an FO for a while and if so, how long?

If hired as a captain, what pay could he expect on say a Hawker 800, or a Gulfstream? What would be considered to be so low as to avoid?

How much as an FO?

Is most flying simply to fly somewhere and sit a few days or is it out and back?

What is the best way to look for a job, go to local airports?

Do the companies pay for training?

Other expectations?
Typically, direct entry captains are for those already typed or with experience as captain in that aircraft. Considering the differences from 121 to 135 it may be beneficial to fly as an FO first simply to learn the ins and outs of 135 flying, if even only for a short while.

First year FO pay can vary from 70k-100k or more.

for operators like Fly Exclusive, Net Jets, Flex Jet or Wheels Up to name a few, the flying is varied but you can expect multiple legs each day, likely 2-4 on average. Rarely you may fly out in the morning, wait around all day and fly the same pax back home. But don’t expect to enjoy a 3 day vacation on the beach someplace, it is certainly work.

apply online, most operators have home basing, they’ll fly you commercially to and from the major airport of your choice.

training is paid at normal rates at most places.

smaller operations could vary considerably from what I just mentioned.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2020

With the shortage of pilots I'm sure you can just apply and get called right away. They'll hire direct entry captain non typed if you sign a training contract. Otherwise if you just want to see what it's all about fly right seat somewhere and they usually upgrade within months.

If you want the best quality of life, generally go for the bigger aircraft that have a flight attendant. Typically the bigger jets have less last minute fights, you know where you'll be flying at least a day or so before and flying is generally better. If you're coming from Pt121 with lots of experience then I would try to go for a Pt135 operation rather than Pt91. At least 135 has somewhat of a structured environment with SOPs and CRM.

Unless you're flying for an owner, you can use the Netjets pay scale on here to see how much you'll generally be making for each type.

Flying is perfect for retirees. But in general, unless your operator has set schedules, your mindset should be that they own you for those days on. You can fly anywhere and your schedule can be changed any time. You can not expect to have any sort of regular schedule. Still, it's very laid back, awesome flying and you don't fly much(depends on fleet). You're just hanging out at hotels getting paid usually. The challenging part is that you are on the road for long stretches, 7 to 15 days so you need an understanding spouse/kids.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Minepza; 02-12-2023 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Depending on the type of 121 flying you have been doing be prepared for a culture shock. I was previously at a 121 ACMI operator so the changing schedules were not that much of a challenge for me.

It can be an adventure. There is good and bad. Probably the biggest change for you will be that you are going into smaller airports that do not have the infrastructure nor the operational standardization that you would be used to. With 135 you will not be sitting as brokers and the sales department are going to be constantly attempting to sell trips and keep the aircraft moving and generating income. There is a good chance with a 135 or 91K operator that you could be home based, so you will not have to relocate.

Corporate & 91 is a different thing and is usually thought of as being the "Unicorn Job", and pretty much what a lot of people aspire to. These jobs have their pluses and minuses as well, just as there is in every job. They are a lot more difficult to get and requires lots of politicking and networking. You may see advertisements for corporate jobs but what you have to understand is those jobs are mostly just listed as an HR requirement and they have already been filled internally or by people that have networked their way into the job. Corporate & 91 jobs usually require that you live in close proximity to where the aircraft is based.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Keep in mind you'll do a lot more stuff in 91K or 135 ops. Load bags, arrange the pax catering, vacuum the cabin, clean the trip tables, etc. Some jets with a "honeybucket" you may have to carry that outside as some FBO's won't let their employees remove it. NetJets now has an entire fleet that has externally serviced lavs. You'll likely see a new airport every trip. Ground transportation can be sketchy in small airports. I've had to ride in the handicapped bus from a community center to get from Marfa, TX to the hotel in Alpine, TX. I've also had to ride in the hotel clerks buddies beat up minivan because they was no other ground transport in Emporia, VA. We also had to dig rocks out of a ditch to chock the nosewheel with because the airport had no chocks.

Sometimes you'll keep the same jet and other pilot for the entire trip. Some companies you have to be the dispatcher and file your own flight plans, others like NetJets have professional dispatchers.

Quite a bit different from the 121 world. Most over 65 guys I flew with were great, but some didn't last long after the reality set in.

Pay is getting close to regional airline rates. I can only speak for NetJets but when I gave up my medical in spring 2017 I had made a little over $200K the previous 12 months as a 12yr light cabin PIC.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: B777/CA retired

Some good advice above. I retired in December. I started looking a few months before just to see what was out there. I will be going to class at a 135 operation next month, I turned down two other offers that were great but the one I am taking should prove to be the most interesting.

Of the three jobs I was offered, only one was a direct entry captain and even then I would be flying with other captains for a while. The other two were a large 135 where I would be a first officer for at least 100 hours and the other was a fractional operation that I may not see the left seat in anything other than a very light jet, and that could be years to get even that. That really doesn’t matter to me, I don’t have to be the captain anymore, been there, did that. It’s more about doing interesting flying and having fun. Home based was another criteria for me. I live an hour and a half north of Seattle, not a lot of 91/135 close by. If you live in NYC, South Florida, Chicago or SoCal then the situation is different, lots of corporate and smaller 135 operations that may work better for you.

If you don’t have corporate jet time you will have a tough time getting in to a 91 operation. A lot has to do with lack of sim time at CAE and Flight Safety. They are super short of instructors from what I have heard. One of my fellow interviewees was bailing out of a 91 lead captain gig on a Hawker (primarily because he was underpaid, had a ton of responsibility and was on the hook 24/7/365). He couldn’t get recurrent sim time for he and his fellow pilot until August and October, which meant they couldn’t even go as a crew. And 91 is all about networking. You will have a tough time breaking in unless you have contacts.

You mentioned flying Gulfstreams and other large cabin jets. That probably will not happen under 135 or even 91k. Age 65 prevents us from doing most international flying which will keep you from getting hired into that jet. 91 is different but again…. everyone already in corporate wants that Falcon, G650 or Global job, so you are fighting with guys with years of corporate experience. And corporate is not 121. You have to adapt to that reality and be humble. Bar stories about your Paris overnights are just that, bar stories that they really don’t care about because while you were doing your 26 hour layover in Europe, they were doing 4 days in the south of France.

Be humble, be fun, be interesting and be a team player. You will have no problem getting a job, you do want to get the best one you can.