View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 05:54 PM
PRS Guitars
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A320 CA

Originally Posted by Joeschmo View Post
I’m attempting to compile what I’ve learned so far about United and Delta so my wife can easily understand the pros/cons of each airline:

United: Initially, 10-15% faster seniority progression due to being in the middle of the hiring wave. Hold a line years sooner than Delta, including WB flying (assuming it’s the lifestyle we want). Work a couple more days a months than Delta due to some trip inefficiencies. Not much opportunity to drop trips. Inferior contract but hopeful for a renewal by summer.

Delta: Historically, a better managed company with a superior contract (LTD, reserve rules, pay). More efficient trips, working less days per month. Ability to drop trips. Slower initial seniority progression due to sustained hiring since 2014, meaning it’ll take years longer to hold a line. However, better reserve rules still allow for great QOL. Once I’m eligible, I have the opportunity to become a SLI and drive home every night (fly once a quarter).

Since I’ve learned both airlines have domiciles we would be happy to live in, that part of the equation is no longer on the forefront of our decision matrix.
Im not at UAL or DAL, but none of that sounds definitively true to me. You are way overthinking some of this. Time to hold a line? That’s going to vary widely depending on your base and aircraft. Same with “efficient trips”, I would not weight those in your decision matrix. A lot of the things you mentioned are subjective as well. What was your goal when you applied? Your gut feeling? Where do you want to live? Have you looked at real estate and schools?