View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Jaxs170
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Hopefully on a ski slope in Tahoe.

Originally Posted by sigtauenus
For us non-AF guys following this, is the assignment of a/c aligned with the completion of training and the service obligation?

Point is, is dropping out of UPT an option for guys after aircraft assignment?

Is there any talk of dropping back the 10 year service obligation? A 3-4 year obligation would be appropriate for being stuck riding a desk.
AF studs get their aircraft assignments BEFORE they complete training, usually a few weeks to a month prior to winging. There is a big ceremony that is supposed to be a party where each stud goes infront of the crowd, often with family/friends/loved ones in attendance, their flight commander pokes a little fun at them, then the plane (and base) they get is revealed on a big screen. Prior to this, they should have no idea what they are getting (but, as is the case with FAIPs, sometimes they do have an idea of what is coming). Guard and reserve guys, along with Navy E-6 drivers, are the only ones who know 100% what is coming.

If things play out in a funny way, the evening can become very, well, unfun. My Vance class sorta had this happen when one member of my class appeared to get passed over for a C-17 in favor of another class member who everyone was sure was trailing the first guy. He broke down when his classmate's C-17 popped up and he quickly left the party, which dampened what was otherwise a great assignment night. He went KC-135s and apparently is very happy in his job.

I have heard stories of people DORing (AF uses term SIE, Self Innitiated Elimination) after assignment night as a result of what they get. Those stories usually revolve around -38 folks getting a B-52. Long and short, unless they change the system and reveal assignments after pinning the wings on them, they can drop. I pray they do not try this, as I could not imagine the backlash from mom/dad alone should Billy get his wings in the morning and then be told that night he will be operating a remote control box.