View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:42 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by FlyerJosh View Post
There are even exceptions to the rule, which have been clarified in FAA legal interpretations. (I'll try to dig it up when I have time)

The biggest I can think of is long range stategic bomber crews. I know a guy that has flown missions from the US to the middle east, dropped bombs on various targets, then back to the US all without touching down.

Strictly speaking, none of that flight time was cross-country, since he didn't do a touch and go at an Iraqi airport... the FAA has allowed for an exemption in such case.

Personally, I only log those flights to an airport beyond 50NM away from my original departure point as XC. If I fly 51 miles, do a touch and go, fly 30 nm, do another touch and go, and then fly 100 nm back home, I'll log the entire time as XC.
OK - so you would interpret my situation as not x/c time when I take off from my home base, fly 150 nm away, do my mission for an hour or so and then return hom as x/c time. I would have had to at least had to do a T/G at some other field over 50nm away; or would I fall under that FAA exemption that you spoke og. I'm certainly not in the same category as those long range bomber crews that you are talking about. that is just crazy not calling that a x/c flight

USMCFLYR