View Single Post
Old 04-28-2023, 12:11 PM
ZippyNH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo View Post
Troll or serious post here? Opinions are like... well, you know. As your first post here, I would like to see your definition of "frequently travels for work." Are you a crew member or just a highly traveled businessman (or gal)?

Why do all the major luggage companies specializing in crew luggage NOT have 4 spinny wheels? Experience has shown they are more susceptible to breaking and typically not individually replaceable/repairable. Oddly, for all the broken external "spinny" wheel I've seen dismembered on the ramp, I've never seen an internal wheel all alone out there that fell out. Those kinds of wheels just do not hold up in the day-to-day use of flight crew.
Exactly.....Two wheels for the win!!

#1 million....and not just I am old, but I do understand many younger people have never owned a non-4 wheel spinner or just terrible 2 wheel ones....the above the poster says it all!!
Plus you get more internal volume....and the wheel are typically bigger and higher quality, so they roll better.
A pilot with a 4 wheel spinner.... could say tons, it's certainly a choice, but I would recommend against it... STRONGLY.
A property adjusted J-HOOK or hanger straps to hang a bag on the front of you suitcase will balance the weight, and make it nearly weightless as you pull it (then pick... traditional handle or an extra one that sticks out can help if you have shoulder issues)....that being said, on a short walk with an escalator I sometimes put my small bag on top...same for shuttle buses/trains to save space when people are packed together.
Plus the typical Two wheel PROFESSIONAL LEVEL pilot suitcase can have the wheels replaced (often by the user) if they get worn (a good suitcase might last 6+ years....sand, dust, snow water, concrete, metal people movers and blacktop will eventually wear them down, even if you keep the bearing lubed up (yes, a good regular suitcase MX item, just like added soft wax to the zipper teeth to prevent wear, seriously!)
And one more thing to add...a TSA approved lock, 😂
Unless it's hard sided, all you need to get into a suitcase with a zipper and a lock is a ballpoint pen...but it might keep an honest person honest...but honestly will only slow a person down...your hotel maid I am sure knows the trick as does all the ramp rats....then just slide the locked zipper ends back...and a suitcase is zippered up AGAIN, no damage or indication anybody opened it, and no need to buy a TSA key on ebay....