Thread: CAL Update
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Riddler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Left Seat, Toyota Tacoma

[QUOTE=hokiefan;362217]Looking for info on CAL -- and I apologize in advance for the broad/crystal ball questions. I am a new hire looking for info . . .

EWR is the first place new hires go but what is the timeline to get to IAH? What about CLE?/QUOTE]

--- From what I see, the most junior IAH 737 FO is about 100 people up from the bottom of the senority list, so it's not all that senior to get into IAH. I'm not sure how long you could expect to be on reserve - typically EWR has the shorter time on reserve because of the # of new hires.

[QUOTE=hokiefan;362217]How quickly will CAL be in a position to hire again? Is the airline posturing for contract negotiations or is CAL really that strapped that furloughs will become a reality?

--- Your guess is as good as anyone else's. I've heard rumors, anything from starting hiring again this fall to next spring. If we merge, my uneducated and highly speculative guess is that we won't see new hires for a long, long, long time.

[QUOTE=hokiefan;362217]What is required to commute (i.e. how should a guy plan to commute . . . 1 back-up, 2, 3?). What if there is a double commute (i.e. a connection in CLE is required to make it to EWR)? Does the pilot need to plan for multiple back-ups for each leg?

---I'm not sure, I haven't really researched this. So far in training, we need 1 backup, but we're also given positive space transportation back to training. Some advice that was given to me: your default should be to live in your domicile unless you have some sort of reason making it impossible to live in domicile. I don't think you'll find anyone recommending a 2 leg commute, especially during your first year. But... I'm not sure what the contract says.

[QUOTE=hokiefan;362217]DAL/NWA occurs, how far behind will the CAL/UAL merger follow? Will that affect the bases (i.e. would they close CLE and go solely out of ORD)?

--- This is another good question for the magic 8 ball.

[QUOTE=hokiefan;362217]Finally, what does an average month of reserve look like? In other words, is it 4 days on, three days off or is it more unpredictable? What times during the day do the reserve slots begin (i.e. can a pilot commute in the same day as the reserve begins)?

--- I don't know yet, I'm still in training. You're guaranteed 12 days off per month - 4 of those days are "immovable" and 8 are "movable." It's not unheard of for scheduling to call you and move your off days to fill the schedule.

--- The month prior, you can bid your reserve days. I haven't done it yet so someone with more experience please chime in. My understanding is once the schedule comes out, you can trade reserve days to make your schedule more commutable - i.e. if you have 2 days of reserve, then 2 days off, then 2 more days of reserve, you might be able to trade your off days with someone else to give you a 4 day reserve block.

--- Short call reserve is 3 hours from notification to pushback and you get paid 76 hours per month. Most reserve is short call (about 75%+). While on short call, you are assigned a 15 hour window and during this time, you are essentially considered "on duty." So if you get called at the 12 hour point, you can only fly a short trip.

--- Long call reserve is 9 hours from notification to pushback and you get paid 72 hours per month. You are available 24 hours per day. Essentially, when the schedulers call you, they give you the minimum 8 hours of crew rest and then you start your 16 hour day.

--- The day prior to assuming reserve duties, the Long Call guys can shop for trips and pick up any open time trips that coincide with their reserve days. A few hours later, the Short Call guys can do the same. At 1500 the day prior to sitting reserve, you'll get assigned your 15 hour duty window.

--- Depending on your commute, sitting long call might not be possible, so it seems that more commuters actually bid short call. The worst case scenario is sitting at home and getting a 7 or 8 PM call from scheduling that notifies you of a 6 AM show time the next morning. If scheduling calls you after the last flight leaves your home for your domicile, you're pretty much screwed.

[QUOTE=hokiefan;362217]Again, apologize for the broad-based/crystal ball type questions but this will help with some upcoming decisions

Hope all of this info helps!