Gets Weekends Off
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2006
  • Position
    Student Pilot
Quote: I always encourage students to pursue their dreams regardless of how old you are. Being that you currently are under a time crunch if the airlines are your dream of preference, there are several things to consider:

1) if you are just starting out and don't have the time yet to be hired, on average, most will take 18 to 24 months just to earn their certificates/ratings and an addition a 12 to 18 months to meet ATP minimums.
2) the ATR is one of the hardest Types to achieve. As someone with multiple types, I can attest to this.

I would never discourage you from achieving your dream of flying for an airline.. however, I would say to consider the possibility of part 91/135 operations instead due to your possibly limited timeframe. If you can get everything done by 63.5, sure... Get hired and get a year of experience (invaluable). Then (assuming age requirements haven't changed) find a part 135 or 91 gig
AFW:

I appreciate you shooting straight from the hip. Yeah, I've always dreamed of saying, "Good evening from the flight deck folks. This is you CA speaking". I did fail to mention that I've always been interested in aviation since being knee-high to a duck. I'm former Civil Air Patrol (PB Cadet Squadron), Former US Army, and a 1987 grad of ERAU/Daytona Beach. Got my Bachelors in Air Studies w/aoc in Air Transportation Mgmt. I got a zillion hours of MSFS in the Cessna 172, BE-58, KA-350, and the B-737-8.No, it's not actual but, I figure I got a jump on things so to speak.

Again, preciate the transparency.

atp