View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 08:55 AM
HockeyFan
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo View Post
This is what caught my eye. Were you referencing your current career in media looking murky or did I correctly interpret this to mean the aviation industry? If you were afraid to jump in because of a murky outlook, you may need to reevaluate this and its risk you perceive. Aviation goes up and it goes down. Actually, getting started in a downturn isn't necessarily a bad choice because it takes so much time to get the ratings and experience needed to get hired somewhere, it's possible that things begin trending up by the time you get there. (This assumes you take on as little debt as possible just in case the jobs do not materialize) The opposite can also be true, like now. Things are on the upswing and you begin training only for it to turn south right as you are ready to submit those applications and suddenly the music stops. You're left with no aviation jobs to apply for and potentially a mountain of debt knocking on your door for repayment.
Thanks for chiming in! Yes you are correct, I was referring to the aviation industry being murky. I am definitely aware of the ups and downs of this career. I think that what kind of turned me away several years ago was that I read a lot of doom and gloom stuff at the time and I am very risk averse as a person so I was like "no, this sounds awful" and put it in the back of my mind. I have since learned that calculated risk can be good and I think my lack of taking risks has led to this point in my life where I am not where I want to be, life and career wise. Looking back, I wish I had started training back when I last was looking into it and, other than covid, I would have been getting in at a good time. Oh well.