Thread: Cadet program
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 08:56 AM
Jmcgibbon
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2021
Default Don’t get the math

Originally Posted by Greendriver View Post
Do what you think is best for you! However, I too would not tie into commitments. Delta for example has removed their 1000-hour fixed-wing turbine time requirements. So you might think three years, but in all reality you could get the invite not long after you reach the required minimums. Based on my calculations, you would lose over 90k by staying at Frontier.

For example, three years combined (approximates) at F9 would get you around $311K (90, 106, and 114). We won't be passing a new contract anytime soon in my opinion. At Delta on the A321 around $403K (91, 144, and 168). The first year are pretty much the same, but between second and third year pay, you make around $92K more at Delta. Either way, do what what you want. If you go through the program, then nothing stops you from taking a loan and repaying Frontier when you get your invite to one of Big Three.

Good Luck!
Are you saying that at 1500 hrs you could go straight to Delta and bypass Frontier completely? If a cadet goes from 1500 hr CFI to frontier FO and spends 3 years there then goes to DL (or any legacy) wouldn’t an appropriate apples to apples comparison have to account for what happens in the time span between the 1500 hr mark and DL FO. You calculated the first three years at F9 to the first three years at DL and sure DL is higher. But is DL possible at the same time that F9 becomes possible?