View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Skyrider
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2008

First post here as well. I was doing some research (google) on another topic and came across your post. I figured I would sign up and offer some possible clues to your experience since I know the details of this day at ZSPD.

Looking at the time of your post I am guessing that you were flying with a 0803 database in cycle 0802 or 0803 effective date. Chinese authorities delayed the opening of Pudong runways 17 and 35 in the middle of the 0803 release. Because of this delay the new procedures that were to go into effect were no longer valid upon the 0803 effective date. Atleast not until March 25,2008. Notams were issued and charts updated back to the old procedures between March 13 to March 25th. The good thing about the charts is that they are usually reviewed to be updated every 15 days while the database is only every 28 days. Here is where we get the disconnect and confusion.

The Chinese ATC knew of this problem and had to guide clearance as they came in. Some Airlines issued internal notams to inform their pilots that the new procedure are not valid until later. The problem is that once the new effective date hits, the old procedures are not accessible in the database.

Anyway, sorry for the long write... I think it was this problem and the timing of your flight into this airport that caused the delay from ATC.

Cheers,

P.S. seems like an interesting site. I look forward to reading this forum.

Last edited by Skyrider; 04-15-2008 at 07:49 PM.