View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 07:15 PM
ToiletDuck
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by Pilotpip View Post
Soldierboy,

There are a couple other threads on this already. Read them.

Mergers aren't good for anybody. Somebody will lose and it's nearly always labor.
I agree they aren't good for anybody... At least in the short term. In the long run of things mergers could be the best thing that happens. The one thing management is good for is fighting for survival. Merging to 3 mega carriers can allow them to up ticket prices across the board meaning there could finally be decent pay again with nice work rules. Nothing comes at a cost though. Stagnation in seniority is something we can all expect. This might be painful but 10yrs from now might be the best thing that could have happened. With Open Skies and start up Skybus style airlines this could be the thing we've been waiting for to set the industry strait again. Kinda like a capitalist version of re-regulation. The gov't won't do it so the airlines basically are.

I'm not flaiming here or saying I'm for or against these. Depends on how the management decides to run with it. They could either make life better or use the fewer airlines as a way to make things worse. We'll have to see. I'm simply saying in the long run this could be beneficial.