View Single Post
Old 08-11-2023, 06:26 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by FlyJD View Post
I really do not know what to say to that. Should I have recorded myself with what I do on my days off? Am i studying the wrong way? Did I really use my entire time on call to grab my fishing poles and have fun? Was ExpressJet Airlines really too good to be true and were they slacking on people including me during my three years there and I do not deserve my ATP and do not deserve the satisfactory results in all their exams?? That C-17 pilot in my class who failed LOE, did the air force reserve cut him way too much slack and shouldn't have the current pilot slot? For months of studying prior to recurrency, is that looked upon me as somebody completely flustered? I don't know what to say . . . I'm the weakest link I suppose.
Your continued justification hurts only you.

The C-17 pilot is irrelevant, but had he passed his training, would it have helped you? No. Whether he or she passed has no bearing on you, or your performance. You were told by your union stewards that there was nothing they could do for you. You were given a unanimous decision by your training review board: you were offered the chance to resign, rather than be fired. Whether the C-17 pilot was told the same is irrelevant. What the C-17 pilot did in the USAF is irrelevant. You neither studied for him, nor did he study for you. You failed on your own. Your continued, dogged insistence on justification and excuse makes quite clear why you didn't pass. Your obstacle to your career is not the Republic training department. It is you.

This is where you must start and what you must fix. You can focus your excuses on Republic and blame them for your troubles, and you can attempt blame everywhere but yourself, if you insist, but it will not prepare you for a checkride or an interview, or fix your lifetime pilot record database (PRD) employment history. All the excuses in the world, and a resignation, won't change the record that will go in the PRD. That's the purpose of the PRD.

You need to put distance between this event and yourself. The only possible scenario that will help you is to establish a track record of good study habits, decision making, employment, and checkrides, because these are evidence. Excuses are not. No employer will listen to you justify yourself based on what a C-17 pilot did. Doing so will only succeed in making yourself look bad.

This is a good time for you to hire professionals: you need an honest evaluation of your flying and any training necessary to fix some obvious deficiencies in aeronautical decision making and basic airmanship. Only you can make yourself study and prepare.

You need to consult with a professional interview preparation service to discuss the best way to address the specifics of your situation, moving forward. Fail to do so at your own peril.

Stop making excuses. Own your past, stop projecting it on others, and fix what's broken. It won't fix itself.