View Single Post
Old 08-25-2023, 11:10 AM
pineapples
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2023

I appreciate the reply! I’m an FO flying for an outfit in anchorage so looking for something that would predominantly keep me in state but open to going abroad occasionally.

I’m also wondering about how the culture and atmosphere is overall in recent years if willing to share? Is it a decent company to fly for? Any reason why less than 40% Alaska FOs? Is there a lot of turnaround and people leaving or people happy to stay long term? It seems like they’ve up the pay and bonuses sound decent.

Again, thanks for any input on the company and flying culture!

Originally Posted by A Squared View Post
If you live in ANC and preferred to fly out of Anchorage as a new hire your chances are pretty good. less than 40% of the FO list is ANC based, so the competition for Alaska based lines is not that great. It used to be kinda the opposite for ANC based FO's and FEs they would bid the overseas work, (because you make more money) and get "junior manned" to an Alaska line, while someone junior with a non-ANC Gateway would get the line they bid. That was a source of unhappiness, naturally. They have changed some policies so that is not as much of a problem now. It's harder for captains to remain in ALaska, as more than 70 percent of the captains list is ANC based, so there's more captains bidding for the same number of ANC lines.

The vast majority of the time you'd be back at the end of the night. Usually, you're hauling a load of cargo out of Anchorage, and coming back to Anchorage almost completely empty. On occasion you'll wind up overnighting at some other location in Alaska and doing a series of flights out of there, but is more the exception than the rule.