View Single Post
Old 08-27-2023, 11:34 AM
JeStar
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2023

Originally Posted by Twincezzna View Post
So I busted my initial type ride on a Boeing for a 121 cargo airline and i,ve never felt worse in my life. Am I ********D?

The start of my disapproval began on an VOR approach. Sometimes the sim would not arm a vertical path without having a cruise altitude set. Of my 8 sessions in training the instructors would come over to the FMC and have us check if the cruise page was empty. Usually they would just throw in random altitudes like 5,000 or 10,000 without any guidance on why they picked that number. There was never any explanation on this and it’s not in our SOPs (just a simism). Anyway, I was outside the faf and descending vnav feeling good and decided to check the cruise page. No cruise alt was set. We were descending perfectly fine but I felt like being an over achiever and asked my seat support to set a cruise alt. He asked what altitude, and I suggested 1400 which was the faf altitude. Well this descended me below my fix prior to the faf and as I watched it bust the altitude around 250 below I selected AP & AT off and tried to re-establish. I climb too high and got fast and examiner froze the sim. Boom check-ride over. He asked why tf I didn’t go around? He’s right I should have. Stupid mistake.

If I didn’t touch the darn cruise page I would have been all good. My fault for not going around though.

Now my question is how screwed am I? I wanted to fly freight for a few years but was not planning to make this my career airline. A legacy was my long term goal. My only other check ride of 10 checkrides was my CFII.

Does the reason for this failure signify I’m just a Sh***y decision maker in the cockpit? How many other pilots do you know at legacy’s with a 121 bust prior to getting hired?
I have two ATP initial failures for ATP type rating at PSA airlines with a resignation. I know two others in my situation who also failed LOE twice at PSA. We are still going good. The others ended up being a captain at JetBlue and a cargo.

I was able to go to a regional and become successful there, with my new airline's training department being top notch. I have an interview with SouthWest coming up and a few other LCC's. I've got a united flow in my back pocket.

TLDR; no its not the end of the world. Apply to other airlines.

See a similar post I made here:

I have 121 checkride failures, Can't move fwd