View Single Post
Old 09-07-2023, 02:37 PM
dera
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Clue32 View Post
I live in Germany and commute to PDX as a 2 year FO on the 767. I asked on the forums how commuting Internationally would work at Atlas, Kalitta, and 121 Pax airlines. Atlas became the best option in my opinion. Commuting isn't easy, and I am a one hour train ride from FRA. Others live in the Canary Islands, Sweden, Croatia... and it is much more complicated.

First question, how are you going to legally reside overseas? My wife is German; we moved back to her home as it made more sense with me being away 60% of the time. I was able to get EU Residency through her. Every country will have visa and/or Residency complications. Not sure if it is still available, but Portugal was granting EU Residency if you purchased a home there.

Next, health insurance. Atlas has several plans through Cigna, but not Cigna Envoy. You will be covered world wide by the company while on duty, but that coverage ends when you hit X Days. That means you will need to purchase a supplemental plan for you and your spouse, and it isn't cheap.

What will your spouse be doing overseas for the 17 to 20 days every month you are on the road working or commuting? Working and earning money, traveling and spending your lower FO Pay, making new friendships, or getting homesick and lonely.

Commuting? Atlas JS is great if it is available. You may have to leave home two or three days early though. You may have to purchase a hotel in the States for a night or two, or visit family for a free place to crash, waiting on gateway. Free jumpseat US to Europe on DL, UA, AA. I have used DL and UA successfully. Europe to the US, requires payment of PAX taxes. LH ID90 S1 confirmed tickets are about €450 Westbound. Used them once, LH is often booked. Last minute UA Miles ticket on 26 December nearly dropped me to about 16k miles. I am up around 150K again, good for 3 or 4 "emergency"tickets.

PM me if you have other questions.
Curious, wouldn't JFK be a better base for intl commuting?