View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 08:01 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by Airbrake View Post
His advice was to...drop my sched in NYC and rebuild it with OOBWS in DTW.[size=33px]
Some of the worst lies are crafted by using truths out of context.

What he suggested is *possible* sometmes, and you may get that sometimes, but I'd plan on that being a rarity and never as part of your justification for doing it.

If it were me, before I'd attempt that plan, I'd do one of:

1. Stay DTW717B, enjoy the rocket ride of seniority, and bid DTW330B when you can hold it. Keep your first upgrade ace up your sleeve in case you hate it you'll have an escape.

2. Bid DTW717A ASAP, enjoy the money, and by the time your freeze is over you'll be able to hold DTW330B or very close.[/size]

3. Bid DTW320B and enjoy the higher payrate, superior flight deck and longer legs while getting most of the "Airbusisms" out of the way. By the time your freeze is up, you should be able to hold DTW330B. You'll preserve your first upgrade escape as well.

Commuting is doable and thousands of pilots do it. A lot of it is mindset. However you will spend a LOT of time and effort (planning flights, loads, weather, accomodations, transportation, etc) doing it. Oh and whatever drive to work you currently have, you'll still have on top of all that.

If NYC was the only way to get to do it, that's one thing. But its not. Its just a way to do it a little sooner. So what? Is that worth possibly 2+ years of 4-8 hours or more of extra unpaid "work" on each end of every trip? You'll get it eventually anyway, so what's the rush? I get that "AE fever" is a thing and each one is a mini FOMO event, but all you have to do is nothing and that opportunity comes to you fairly soon anyway with no commute.

JMHO.