View Single Post
Old 01-21-2024, 12:43 PM
Collins82
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2024
Cool Stay at 135 PDP, or go to CFI?

Hey all, I am a PDP pilot with a 135. I have 250 hours logged through training and currently have 60 hours in the jet I am in. However I can not log any of those 60 hours yet. I am 30 years old and I went to a 141 to get my private, instrument, commercial, and multi. The progam allowed me to finish with 250 hours and start working with a company that would train me on the job and I would fly the jet and log the hours. This jet is single pilot, however with the PDP being approved i would be able to log SIC turbine time. This all sounds great but here is my dilemma, I've been working here for over 3 months now, and only have 60 hours in the jet, and I can't log any of it yet becaue on the companies side of the PDP program it stipulated we have to pass a 135 checkride in the aircraft. I would be ok with that if I had 150 hours in it by now and was familiar flying and landing it and could take a check relatively soon, bu at this pace who knows how long it will be. I only get to fly the empty legs obviously and that doesn't leave a lot of time for me to fly. Factoring conditions in as well. On top of that the other training we got wasn't much. Four hours of ground training and then 50 hours of computer based training online covering ground as well. It's not consistent enough for me to learn and get the hang of it. My question is, do I stick it out here or do I go get my CFI and grind the hours out that way? From what I hear, the hours logged in this jet don't hold a lot of weight as it is single pilot and my SIC hours in it would but essentially useless. So a hop straight to a 121 isn't likely as long as my hours are logged in this jet, however an upgrade can and most likely will happen, but again, I am unsure of the hours I will get still. I figure after a hard grind in CFi I can get the 1500 in a little over a year as I've know several instructors who,ve done this and I plan on renting also. After that I'd spend a year or two at a regional? Is this a reasonable assumption? My goal is the airlines and at my being 30, I'd like to not waste any time and to get my seniority building. Any input or advise would be greatly appreciated!