View Single Post
Old 01-22-2024, 04:06 AM
FangsF15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by magiccarpet View Post
Hello everyone. I'd like your opinion on the best credit card to use given our profession. Currently my wife and I use the Costco card and receive a decent cash back check every Feb or so but we are getting tired of Costco and may not renew our membership there. If we don't, then there's really not much of a point in keeping their Visa. What are your suggestions? Any secrets? Thanks a lot.
I'm sure you will get several good options here. Personally, I use the non-branded AMEX Platinum. It's a great card for commuters especially. You get 'free' Priority Pass and Centurian lounge access (Also SkyClub, but with the NonRev Embargo, that's less useful right now). You also get gold level in several Hotel rewards programs. You get a $200 credit on the airline of your choice for non-ticket items (like food, upgrades, or a 'purchased' skyclub membership). You get a $200 Uber credit (16.66/month). You can get Global Entry/PreCheck fees reimbursed (effectively, it's a 5-year expiration, but still...), and several other credits.

The card has rewards points also, and I get probably $1000/year to spend, either back on the card, or as Amazon points, or gift cards, or...

Also, if you are still in the Guard/Reserve, you can call and they will waive/credit the membership fee, making the card free. Depending on how much you spend, they may give you all/part of the annual fee as a credit as well for "customer loyalty".