View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 06:37 AM
freezingflyboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by notEnuf View Post
What does status do for you? The only time I recall was at one hotel I didn't get access to the hors de ovaries lounge. I have the cards (not CC) but I don't go outof my way to build points.
I could not care less about some cheese cubes and cheap wine when I'm on a layover. Hell, i probably know a better bar in every town anyway 😉. Half the time they give you the stink eye when you ask about status perks when you're on a discounted contract rate you didn't pay for so i usually dont bother. The real payoff is when I'm traveling for me. Suite upgrades, early check-in/late checkouts, free/discounted parking, bottles of champagne delivered to the room and free/50% off breakfast when traveling with the family are great (and can really add up!). Using points vs paying out of pocket is also a great option when there are promotions or you just need a room for work.

The difference really is remarkable when you have status and are staying in a room you paid for vs when staying on a layover and trying to get status benefits on a deeply discounted Delta contract rate.