View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 11:42 AM
FyrePilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2023

Originally Posted by freezingflyboy View Post
I could not care less about some cheese cubes and cheap wine when I'm on a layover. Hell, i probably know a better bar in every town anyway 😉. Half the time they give you the stink eye when you ask about status perks when you're on a discounted contract rate you didn't pay for so i usually dont bother. The real payoff is when I'm traveling for me. Suite upgrades, early check-in/late checkouts, free/discounted parking, bottles of champagne delivered to the room and free/50% off breakfast when traveling with the family are great (and can really add up!). Using points vs paying out of pocket is also a great option when there are promotions or you just need a room for work.

The difference really is remarkable when you have status and are staying in a room you paid for vs when staying on a layover and trying to get status benefits on a deeply discounted Delta contract rate.
Build status however possible (credit card, regular nights purchased when commuting, any nights I can get from the hotel even when staying under work contract)

Saved enough points, had bonuses from credit cards, and then non-revved in American Business JFK to Doha, and then econonomy Doha to Male. Spent $1500 on seaplane, and $3000 at resort (food, beverage, diving, private boat ride). All at St Regis Maldives Sunset Bungalow, average rate of $3500 per night all for 6 nights free on points. That status that I chased for years payed off big for that trip. Currently saving nights and points for the next big trip. Halfway to lifetime platinum status where we get free breakfast and more likely upgrades, that I will use 30 years from now. Then I can start account in each of my kids names to start getting them to lifetime status.

No- its not about the lounge or anything else while I am at work. I get whatever room they give me. Its about getting status to use at the best resorts while on my own time and dime. Earn nights at the fairfield, use status at the St Regis