Gets Weekends Off
ClappedOut145
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Apr 2020
  • Position
    AOG
Quote: With this new aircraft order, I was wondering if Envoy had been waiting in the wings with an announcement saying the planes were going to them. The issue with 175s going to Piedmont is scope. 170s are considered a small RJ whereas the 175s are large RJ, so they can’t replace 145s with 175s. Someone who knows more about the exact formula of how many small and large RJs versus mainline planes will hopefully chime in. But I don’t think there were any scope changes in the new AA contract that would change things unless it was snuck in while everyone was either drooling over or *****ing about what they were going to take to the bank.

With an order that large, I honestly think if AA had wanted enough new 170s that Embraer would have obliged them. As far as I know, scope is literally the only reason to have 170s. The difference in operating cost is minimal and does not justify the lower passenger capacity.
With the increase in the number of mainline narrowbody jets, the number of large regional jets will also increase. AA isn't as foolish regarding these things as they are with other things. They will adjust accordingly. Whether it is taking CR&'s down to 64 seats to make them small RJs or removing some altogether, they know what they are doing. The biggest takeaway is if they want the 50-seat jets gone by the end of the decade, then why keep PDT at all? Yes, PDT is a large ground handling company, and they could keep that going, but why go through all the mess of adding a new fleet type, parts, training, etc., when your largest wholly-owned already has it all? Now more than ever, it is the time for the three carriers to come together and start working on consolidation.