View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 07:14 AM
skybolt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by SWAcapt
My bet is that it will be compatable with the 737 type rating.
My first thought was "no way", but you're probably correct. However, I wonder how retaining the type commonality/compatibility will be compatible with a redesign radical enough to make it worth the attempt? I can see how modern electronics,etc, can make a new aircraft mimic it's older brother, but I don't see how the systems that accomplish the jobs using markedly different methods can possibly be similar enough to allow a common type.

I realize that you didn't say "common", but for all intents and purposes, it's either common or nothing. A "compatible" rating would still require a massive transition training disruption; and "compatible" rating would require the FAA's blessing to allow your pilots to fly multiple types on the same trip. Maybe you boys have that much clout with the Feds, but I tend to doubt it. Even if you do, the time/effort/money required to gain FAA acceptance will be large, quite large. In short, making the airplanes similar enought to allow the crews to fly 73's one leg, and mini787's the next is easily possible, getting the Feds to allow doing so will be more trouble.

skybolt