View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 11:30 AM
L'il J.Seinfeld
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Brown

Originally Posted by phoenix 23684 View Post
I'm still pretty new to 121, but I keep seeing a lot of unhappiness in this industry, specially in regards to ALPA as a union. So I had a thought and wanted to get input from the pilots at the majors since you have been in this industry longer.

My thought is this, ALPA has done great things for safety and it seems a necessary evil in that aspect. Therefore, how about switching ALPA to just that role and that alone, while at the same time starting another national level organization whose only purpose would be to serve as a union with the intent of creating a national seniority list. Something like United Pilot's Union or whatever fancy accronym.

I think this would be what this industry needs to allow pilot choices much like the rest of corporate america has, I mean if we all belonged to one union, then going between airlines and carrying your expertise with you would be no problem. The positive is that it suddenly breaks you from the ugly marriage to which we are all forced to in order to prosper our careers. Also, this would force airline management to have incentives to attract quality or keep quality. If your airline starts to abuse pilots, they would be hard pressed very quickly as those pilots could go to a better airline while being able to keep their life style.

Now the hard part, because we are all too selfish, how to come up with this list. My thoughts are date of hire into 121 plus a percentage based on your age. Why because we all have the same finish line age 65, but it would not be fair to just base it on age, so a combination of the two would seemed a fair thing, sure some will not like it other will, but I think the bast majority will benefit from such a national list. As I see it right now, pilots are very angry/unhappy with how this industry has gone.

I think it's time for some radical change, pilots in the 30s were able to better this industry, I'm sure against many odds, so why can't we do it today. Thought?
I don't want a national seniority list. Besides how would that be fair to military guys? Why should a new regional FO be senior to a military newhire at UPS just because he was hired at a 121 airline? It's not my fault that airline X goes bankrupt. Why should one of its pilots be senior to me when they come to my airline? Choose your horse carefully. There are tons of pilots at FDX and UPS who passed on Delta and United back in the 1990s because they wanted stability. Don't penalize them.

I like your thoughts about making the industry better. I would like to see union leaders be non-pilots and be professional negotiators/lawyers.