Old 06-10-2006, 02:15 AM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

Originally Posted by motojet
First question is upgrade time. I know someone on the 777 at EK and he's saying about three years for an upgrade, yet I read PPrune and hear anywhere from 10 -78 years(I know, I take it with a grain of salt), any feedback?
Upgrade on the 777 is currently at 3 years. It would actually be less, but three years is an arbitrary minimum set by the company. Somebody hired today would be around #1500 on the seniority list. The projection is to have 2500 pilots within 5 years. With an attrition rate of 50 per year that would make a person hired today #1250 out of 2500 in 5 years. Five years is a good figure to work on. It could be slightly longer or it could go slightly less. The future is difficult to predict, but based on current growth plans that is what it looks like.

Second, I hear how you can't live on the FO salary in DXB. I don't have kids or anything(at least none that I know of ) and don't have any major debt, so I figured I should be alright, but those darn PPrune guys make me wonder.
me
With your accommodation and utilities paid for and no concern over school issues I'd be surprised if you didn't save well over $2000 per month. Your expenses will be comprised of Auto payments if any; auto insurance; food and entertainment; internet and phone; and travel expenses; oh and golf club membership

It's when you try to keep a home back in the States that things get difficult. If you rent out your house/condo back in the States and that covers your mortgage then all should be fine. If you want to leave it empty and use it one month per year that is a personal choice which you have to be prepared to pay for. Some people do that.

Finally, when it rains it pours. I have an interview for DEFO Cathay. So,,,, Emirates or Cathay? Of course I will go to both interviews and make my own decision, but I would like some feedback. thanks for your time

Cathay without question. They offer a better long term package with bases in the States.

I would talk to guys already there to make sure you can fit into their corporate culture. Same goes for EK.

Typhoonpilot