View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Herkdrv
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: Mostly Herks. Soon to be Guppys and FRED

Originally Posted by capoetc View Post
What "allowed (me) to still have this outlook through a career leading to retirement"? I'll tell you:

I believe that the Air Force is a strong, noble organization that does great things for our nation, even with its warts. I believe that when I saw problems/waste, it was my responsibility to try my best to fix those problems rather than simply noting that they exist and then listing them on a forum to show how terrible the organization is.

Does the Air Force have problems? Of course ... all large organizations do. As I see the examples of waste here in this thread, I agree that some of them are wasteful. I see some of them as parts of a bigger picture that are driven by forces often beyond the Air Force's control.

Incidentally, I saw a post saying that I was probably deployed overseas and spending all my time telling people to tuck their shirt in or put on socks ... that is partly true. I did not spend all my time doing it, but when I saw a violation I corrected it on the spot. Do you know why? Because the reason for the very strict uniform policy was for force protection. It is very, very easy for the terrorists to get American uniforms. They might even be able to gain access to facilities by getting a job as a 3rd country national. What they likely would NOT do is realize how EXACTLY to wear our uniforms. So, if you see a guy running around in US pt gear with no socks or with his shirt not tucked in, then you challenge him -- if all the good guys are in the proper uniform worn correctly, then the guy who is out of uniform is probably the terrorist. That's exactly what happened at a site in Fallujah -- an Army Sgt noticed a guy in American uniform, worn improperly, and when he challenged him the guy started running. The Sgt ran inside the internet cafe and got everyone out just before it exploded.

SOS: Clearly, whatever I say is going to have no bearing on opinions here, and that is fine. However, I still have not seen anyone suggest a valid method for selecting who goes to SOS given that not everyone can attend. The fact is that, at that point in an officer's career, there are a few clearly superior performers and a few clearly inferior performers and a whole bunch of officers in the middle. SOS in correspondence gives AF leaders a simple way of allowing officers to de-select themselves. And, BTW, SOS is definitely NOT a "re-blueing" school. Since officers at that point in their careers have (for the most part) not been assigned outside the AF, that is simply not an issue.

Finally, I appreciate your concern for my family, but I did not use overhead transparencies when I went to school. In fact, as an airlift pilot, I thought it would be best for me to spend some time with the Army, so I went to the Army Command and General Staff College in Leavenworth KS. It turned out to be a fantastic experience, and it helped me immensely in understanding how Army officers think -- which proved extremely helpful when I was assigned to Balad Air Base in Iraq working Army aircraft bed down issues, among other things.

And guess what? It didn't even cost me my first marriage, as you so crassly suggest -- my wife and I are doing very well, thank you very much.
Give me a break dude Quit trying to justify your actions as the uniform nazi. It baffles me as to why people would waste their time enforcing stupid uniform regs that change every other week when we are fighting a war over there. We already have standards for uniforms why don't we just follow what we do at home station. Oh and when it gets hotter than hell then use common sense standards! Come to think about it why is it that in 11 years of active duty and one with the reserves I've only had my balls busted for "uniform wear" only in the AOR and NEVER anywhere else?

How about the same way the Sq/CC and the DO select who is going on to A/C school, IP school, or EP upgrade. The fact of the matter is there are numerous ways for the leadership to select who is to go and who stays.