View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 04:53 AM
todman57
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Default It's Not All that Bad

Why do you want to be an airline pilot? I understand that you don't have a family or responsibilities, but do you ever wish to have those things? The airlines are becoming increasingly difficult to become gainfully employed at. The average new hire at a regional has about 150K invested for a job that pays 18K. I don't mean to discourage you, but aviation isn't really a job anymore. It is more of a working hobby that requires a lot from its subjects. If I were you I would consider buying a plane or starting at a local small flight school to see if you like it or not. Get your PVT and if the price of that doesnt scare you then move ahead. I wouldn't jump into an expensive airline school. You never stop paying in aviation so you had better get use to it if you plan to make a career out of it. After flight school and college then there are type ratings, training contracts and a decade or more of low paying jobs.

SkyHigh

I Would Just like to let everyone know out there that Mr SkyHigh is incorrect, Every pilot starting out has to live like a very poor man, that has alwways been the situation from Day 1. Airlines just aren't what they used to be...meaning work a few days off many, companies want more out of a pilot now thats all, if you can stand being away, then aviation can be a very rewarding career, you just have to work hard to get where you want to be, so don't let Mr. SkyHigh discourage anyone. AIRLINE FLYING IS STILL A VERY REWARDING CAREER, AND IS STILL A JOB