View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 05:59 PM
nightfreight
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

I don't think she woke up one morning and decided to be a meth addict and alcoholic.

Most of us are professional pilots. We made it here by hard work and dedication, but we also had luck. Have any of you ever wondered what might have happened if we weren't given a break or had the opportunity to make our own breaks? I know from my experience, my career could have been altered by many things, including Air Force pilot training slots, the person that interviewed me or gave me a check ride. What if we had a medical problem that didn't allow us to the chance at this career. How many folks have tried and didn't succeed due to various reasons?

Where am I going? We all know people in this job that are alcoholics, addicted gamblers, etc. Are they bad people? They might have started drinking at the squadron bar and due to a genetic disposition, later found they couldn't stop. We all have different genes. Maybe we could get drunk every weekend for years and permanantly stop at any time. Others can't. One addiction often leads to others. I am sure she probably wasn't a meth addict at UPS, probably and alcholic. Life on the street is probably rough and by that time one bad decision probably leads to others.

Anyway, I feel lucky to be where I am. I have worked hard, but at any time I know that my life could have turned a different corner. We can all act like Billy Bad A$$, but should all feel blessed to have a good job and a healthy family. Most of us were raised in decent homes and not a project filled with criminals and drug abusers. We had no choice in parents, genes, or the surroundings where we grow up.

Sometimes a little compassion is a good thing. I hope she rests in peace.