Thread: Training
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 03:25 PM
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

Originally Posted by GauleyPilot
First of all, please don't take this as discouragement.

Please understand that going to any school is not a guarantee for anything.
You will learn to get your certificate at a school. Your education begins in the world, once you are able to get in. Part 135 companies will train you to their manual and training program, and the flying will teach you the ropes one flight at a time.

You will need 1200 hrs. to fly PIC IFR 135, 500 for VFR ONLY. Insurance and other requirements may be a hinderance also. I used to work for a company that had 172s under 135. They were restricted to VFR only. We had a contract for the forest service, but I couldn't fly for them because I only had 600 hours in a 172 and they wanted something like 1000 in type--NO KIDDING. Even though I took a 135 checkride in a 172 at the FSDO!! I could fly a VFR 135 trip for a senator in a Cessna 310, but not for a forest ranger in a 172!!!!

Im not bashing the schools per se, I used to fly with a guy from a school, and I was impressed with his basic flying, and his ability to catch on quickly.

Good Luck, Keep at it. It was and is a long road, but I have loved it.

wrox:

GauleyPilot is right. You are going to need at least 1200 TThours to fly PIC IFR for Part 135. There are some 135 companies that have a SIC program. AirNet is one of those companies. Make sure you do the research.

My reasoning for choosing ATP for myself is because of the ME time that they offer. Ninety percent of your training is done in a multi-engine a/c. Give them a call at 800-ALL-ATPS.

Best wishes & blue skies!

atp