Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Training

Old 06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Corporate FO
Default Training

Hey Guys,

I've looked at Delta Flight Academy, ATP (up coming question), RAA and Flight Safety Academy. Who would you train with to go Part 135 ? Of course job interviews after everything are important.

Now how can ATP push you through training in 90 days when everybody else seems to take 1 to 1 1/2 years to train ?

Help me fill in the blanks.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Line Holder

Position: BE-99 Captain

I went to ATP and thought it was O.K. not great. They do rush you and you fly your a** off but in then end you get all your ratings and are done. RAA and the ones that take a year or more just want to milk your money. In then end you will get the same job as the other grads. If I where to do it again I would use ATP, and I work the same job as riddle grads.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

ATP in my opinion is the best. Yeah, you fly your butt off and it is fast paced. From what I hear you eat, sleep, shower, socialize with any and everything that has to do with flying. It is 24/7. Your day starts out at 6am and ends about 7 or 8pm. True,that's a long day. However, I believe the more often you are exposed to something whether flying or whatever, the better you will be at whatever is you're trying to accomplish. JMO.

atp
Old 06-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390

First of all, please don't take this as discouragement.

Please understand that going to any school is not a guarantee for anything.
You will learn to get your certificate at a school. Your education begins in the world, once you are able to get in. Part 135 companies will train you to their manual and training program, and the flying will teach you the ropes one flight at a time.

You will need 1200 hrs. to fly PIC IFR 135, 500 for VFR ONLY. Insurance and other requirements may be a hinderance also. I used to work for a company that had 172s under 135. They were restricted to VFR only. We had a contract for the forest service, but I couldn't fly for them because I only had 600 hours in a 172 and they wanted something like 1000 in type--NO KIDDING. Even though I took a 135 checkride in a 172 at the FSDO!! I could fly a VFR 135 trip for a senator in a Cessna 310, but not for a forest ranger in a 172!!!!

Im not bashing the schools per se, I used to fly with a guy from a school, and I was impressed with his basic flying, and his ability to catch on quickly.

Good Luck, Keep at it. It was and is a long road, but I have loved it.

Last edited by GauleyPilot; 06-22-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by GauleyPilot
First of all, please don't take this as discouragement.

Please understand that going to any school is not a guarantee for anything.
You will learn to get your certificate at a school. Your education begins in the world, once you are able to get in. Part 135 companies will train you to their manual and training program, and the flying will teach you the ropes one flight at a time.

You will need 1200 hrs. to fly PIC IFR 135, 500 for VFR ONLY. Insurance and other requirements may be a hinderance also. I used to work for a company that had 172s under 135. They were restricted to VFR only. We had a contract for the forest service, but I couldn't fly for them because I only had 600 hours in a 172 and they wanted something like 1000 in type--NO KIDDING. Even though I took a 135 checkride in a 172 at the FSDO!! I could fly a VFR 135 trip for a senator in a Cessna 310, but not for a forest ranger in a 172!!!!

Im not bashing the schools per se, I used to fly with a guy from a school, and I was impressed with his basic flying, and his ability to catch on quickly.

Good Luck, Keep at it. It was and is a long road, but I have loved it.

wrox:

GauleyPilot is right. You are going to need at least 1200 TThours to fly PIC IFR for Part 135. There are some 135 companies that have a SIC program. AirNet is one of those companies. Make sure you do the research.

My reasoning for choosing ATP for myself is because of the ME time that they offer. Ninety percent of your training is done in a multi-engine a/c. Give them a call at 800-ALL-ATPS.

Best wishes & blue skies!

atp
Old 06-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Line Holder

Position: Corporate FO
Default training for 135

Thanks guys...keep it coming.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

Position: FO dhc-6

those schools dont even help you get 135 jobs, they help you get 121 jobs with regional carriers by pulling strings with your excess money to get you the job with the lowest amount of time.

135 minimums are set in stone and even if you go to training you cant get in with below minimums, so you prob have to flight instruct somewhere along the line, if thats the case, then just do it at your local noname FBO and save $25,000.

so the long and short of it is, you can kill 50 people with only 500 hours but in order to kill just a few chartered passengers you need 1200 hours.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: 737 Right

Originally Posted by hatetobreakit2u
those schools dont even help you get 135 jobs
True dat.

135 minimums are set in stone and even if you go to training you cant get in with below minimums, so you prob have to flight instruct somewhere along the line, if thats the case, then just do it at your local noname FBO and save $25,000.
On the other hand, I understand that ATP instructors stay pretty busy. If you train with them, I suspect you'll be offered a job with them. If you want to build time fast (and lots of multi time), you might consider ATP for both training and flight instructing.

Not to say that you can't fly a lot by working for your local FBO. Motivation and a posative attitude will help you build a regular client base. Training at a local FBO will probably cost a bit less.

If you're considering a temporary relocation for the right school, I would also suggest you take a look at Skymates in the Dallas area.

so the long and short of it is, you can kill 50 people with only 500 hours but in order to kill just a few chartered passengers you need 1200 hours.
Although your choice of words is a little distasteful, I have no rebuttal.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Although ATP and other flight academies main focus is to "get you an interview with one of their alliance partners", after flight instructing at one of these facilities, employment opportunities should open up in 135 ops as well as 121.

As far as what waflyboy said in response to the second entry of the previous post by hatetobreakit2u...TRUE DAT!

atp
Old 06-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Banned

Position: FO dhc-6

just pointing out the how the backwardness of the aviation industry to him, sorry about making a joke