View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 05:13 PM
⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Geeks Unite!

Good info Purple nugget. A few weeks ago I posted here somewhere about our (UPS) discount and it seems that it works pretty much the same.

Here’s my previous post:

“…You're welcome. I got some more info; I went back to the AT&T store to double check on the airline, etc. discounts. The 2G Phone (old phone) is NOT eligible for any discounts however the new 3G iPhone IS eligible for employee discounts.

We (UPS) get 20% off on all plans (added info -he said about 20% so maybe it’s 22% like y’all have? I didn’t have time to wait for him to check the exact discount percentage). However the discount does not apply to the internet plan which is an additional $30 a month. At Verizon I think we have 25% off and it's on the whole plan so the discount is not as 'generous'.

Had Verizon offered the iPhone I'd have stayed with them but I'll be switching to AT&T in mid July...”

Also, some info on Skype + iPhone if anyone is interested. I emailed Shape Services – the company that’s selling the web application for the iPhone. Basically the WiFi function will work but only if you want to text message through Skype.

So in other words, if you call someone overseas FROM THE US - both the voice and the text communication will work great since the program will be using regular AT&T network (you’ll be using ‘domestic’ minutes only so you won’t incur any international roaming calling overseas – you’ll just pay the regular Skype Out charges).

However, if you want to call someone here in the States FROM OVERSEAS then you’ll have to stick to chat (text) feature only for now. Make sure you connect through the WiFi (Starbucks cafes, etc) and then use it as much as you want for regular Skype OUT fees, or pennies.

However, if you want to actually talk instead of texting you’ll have to connect through any worldwide 3G⁄GSM⁄CDMA network, in other words you’ll have to sign up for an international plan at AT&T and roam – expensive and defeats the whole purpose of Skype.

They said they might tweak the software in the future so voice communication will be available through WiFi instead of network but for now…

Here’s a link to the application – it’s called IM+ for Skype (Apple - Web apps - IM+ for Skype)

My old post:
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ha...tml#post409007