View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 06:48 PM
bus canuck
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A332/A340

TP, I have no idea who you are, but you have always seemed reasonable and I suspect if we met, we'd get along. Having said that, I think in your interest to provide a balance to the EK negativity, you've gone from balanced to overly positive.

First of all, I like EK for the same reasons you do. My family and I like Dubai, warts and all. We researched what we were getting into and got what we expected and wanted.

However, there's one thing you overlook about EK because it didn't affect you. As near as I can tell, you were either accelerated or a DEC on the 777. I was not so lucky. I was assigned the Bus 3 1/2 years ago. I was over 40 when hired with lots of command time, albeit on smaller jets. EK was sold as a career airline and hadn't hired DECs in 10 years. I qualified for accelerated command and was assured, in writing, that I'd be upgraded "probably" in 18 months but "guaranteed" in 3 years. Since then, the rules have changed 4 times and presently there are no written rules. I'm now in my mid-forties, stuck in the right seat for maybe another year and well over my budget. To hammer this home, I can't afford to send my kids to the American school which is reputed to be the best. I bet you can. I don't get "concierge" service at the 3 new hotel deals - that's for Captains only. I go back home to Canada in Economy. You and Brian enjoy upgrades. I don't send home money every month. I'm just treading water. If I was 29, it wouldn't matter, but at my age, this is killing me.

You see, you benefited from these changes. Fair enough. But pause for a second and wonder "what if?" What if EK decided they didn't fancy the 777 and stuck with more Buses. You'd be sitting in the right seat and I'd be enjoying what I was promised. You may not be so positive on these forums.

I advise my friends, the people I care about, not to come to EK because it's too much a gamble. On these forums, I really try to just be balanced and let them decide.

What Brian did in this article was misleading and his follow-up on PPRUNE was pathetic. I'm glad you called him and told him to apologize. It shows you're a class guy. It shows what he is that he didn't do it.

Anyway, enough rambling. I just want to point out the other side of the EK experience. Overall, like I said, life is good. I'm still happy to provide honest answers to questions on these forums.

Regards.