View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Bond
Gets Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: On Top

Originally Posted by XHooker View Post
Flyby, pre-9/11 the legacies were ahead of SWA and the box haulers as career choices. My, how times have changed. The reason SWA looks so good right now is because all of the other passenger carriers look so bad. Will it stay that way...who knows?

My two cents. SWA is a great company with superior management and (from the ones I know) a great pilot group. The company has a game plan that it has sticks to and keeps its debt low. On the flip side, as it runs into more competition, it becomes more difficult to execute the game plan with the same spectacular results. Right now, SWAs ability to hedge fuel has done wonders for its bottom line, but as far as the operational side goes, I don't think it's anything special. The good news is I think its fuel hedges are significant through 2012.
That's funny, I'm not trying to flame you brother, but have you done any kind of research about the way the operation runs at Southwest?

Strickly as a jumpseater you can see the difference in the operations between the two companies:

SWA - Gate agents happy to be there, and willing to help you at any hub or station.

CAL - Been to EWR lately? You couldn't get a smile out those people if you had a gun to their heads, and as soon as you approach the counter for a jumpseat request, you automatically become a second class citizen.

SWA - Incredibly efficient, will turn an aircraft in 20-25 minutes.

CAL - I've seen them take an hour at IAH turning a 735.

SWA - Employee moral at SWA is always incredibly high, and they're always happy to see you.

CAL - Is always hit or miss, I've had guys that were really cool about guys asking for the jumpseat, and guys that had a huge bug up their ***.

SWA - Controllable completion factor always above 98%

CAL - Checked the DNU lately?

Don't get wrong, I think CAL is a fine company, but as far as the operation, there is simply no question that SWA runs a great operation, which is a direct byproduct of employees that really care about their company, and a culture that stands out in the industry. If you believe that fuel hedging is the only reason why Southwest continues to be profitable, then I suggest you take a closer look at their business model, and at the hands that make it happen every day.

Last edited by Bond; 08-12-2008 at 12:24 PM.