Thread: Minimum Fuel
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 04:25 AM
Min Fuel
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by Herkulesdrvr View Post
My standard for min fuel is higher than what the sop says. Come up with your own comfort level and go with it. Don't depend on some book or FOM to protect you. I see guys trying to go with the 45 minutes and then I ask them if they would be comfortable landing with that amount and most say no. Well why the hell are you using 45 minutes then? I will pad on another couple grand for my own sanity.
From what I have read, the recent events at one carrier was over about 1500lbs of 'extra fuel' and that was enough for a rug dance. But yes, I understand the military operates differently than airline or -91. And thanks for your service.

You never know when someone is going to shut down a runway or something wierd happens, don't put yourself in that position. If someone wants to question my higher fuel load then I'm ok with that, but I don't want someone asking me why I flamed out from lack of fuel. Conservative is better. Of course the military isn't in business to make a profit, so there is a different mentality than from the airlines.
No suitable airport within :45? Where do you operate?