View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 04:00 PM
alfaromeo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by Superpilot92 View Post
Johnso28 and I are looking at being in the top of the list for the last 25 years of our career flint any aircraft we want under a standalone NWA. We got the 9 now but had age 65 not happened we would be shooting up the list constantly for the next 10 years. Both side have a positive out look and arguments.
On the lists I have, I show that 15 years after the merger, in 2023, Delta will have retired about 2,850 pilots and Northwest will have retired about 2,600 pilots.

In the short term, Northwest is losing dozens of airplanes with no replacements. You are losing more jobs than you have had pilots retire. Lots more. DL just took delivery of 737-700's and those deliveries are continuing. Starting in December, we have 6 777's being delivered. Those job gains will end up offsetting the jobs being lost from Northwest.

Northwest will soon have a large pay raise, how many pilots would have to retire to equal that amount of pay increase through seat movement?

I see Northwest pilots talking about where they are going to be 10 or 15 years from, but ignore the huge economic benefits that are being delivered right now by coming into the DL system. Currently Delta has over 1,800 jobs that pay at or above your current A-330 rate.

There is a reason Northwest had to have a furlough mitigation letter, it is because they are going to have to furlough unless more pilots retire, they are over staffed by a lot. DL is talking about needing new hires very soon on a standalone plan. Do the math. Career expectations don't start 15 years from now.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that these benefits are going to the Northwest pilots, but don't pretend they don't matter.