View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
keenster
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: FO forever
Default no huge pay raise.

Originally Posted by alfaromeo View Post
On the lists I have, I show that 15 years after the merger, in 2023, Delta will have retired about 2,850 pilots and Northwest will have retired about 2,600 pilots.

In the short term, Northwest is losing dozens of airplanes with no replacements. You are losing more jobs than you have had pilots retire. Lots more. DL just took delivery of 737-700's and those deliveries are continuing. Starting in December, we have 6 777's being delivered. Those job gains will end up offsetting the jobs being lost from Northwest.

Northwest will soon have a large pay raise, how many pilots would have to retire to equal that amount of pay increase through seat movement?

I see Northwest pilots talking about where they are going to be 10 or 15 years from, but ignore the huge economic benefits that are being delivered right now by coming into the DL system. Currently Delta has over 1,800 jobs that pay at or above your current A-330 rate.

There is a reason Northwest had to have a furlough mitigation letter, it is because they are going to have to furlough unless more pilots retire, they are over staffed by a lot. DL is talking about needing new hires very soon on a standalone plan. Do the math. Career expectations don't start 15 years from now.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that these benefits are going to the Northwest pilots, but don't pretend they don't matter.
Again and again I have to disagree with your mis information. First of all we are not getting huge pay raises. I have done the math. By the time you take into account that medical cost more and on average your lines are less than ours I will be lucky to break even. Also you are getting the same raises that we are in the new contract in the years to come so it is not as if you are not benefiting as well. You only get those raises if this thing comes together. You are basically keeping your current contract,
and we are loosing ours which has some nice things in it that you don't have. So, again and again I have asked for a list of things you are loosing from this deal and haven't seen one yet. My raise is $8 an hour. So 75hours give me an extra 600 bucks now take away 250 extra medical cost and i have $350 a month raise before taxes. After taxes maybe $200 bucks in the pocket. So could you please stop the press on our huge pay raise and huge gain that we are supposedly getting, it isn't there. Yes we will be making more money but $200 a month does not do much for me but I will be happy to get it.

I am happy to see the pay rates coming up but at the same time lets talk about facts and not fiction. I hope to see the rates go sky high for everyone and am glad to have you guys along for the ride. I was retiring early but now I will bre forced to go to 60 because your contract has no medical for early retirees which will cost me $1950 a month if I go early but that does not matter to you. You don't have that available so you have not lost what I have. There is a whole list of things that we are loosing that $8 an hour raise does not make up for. Before you can make that kind of statement you would need to know our contract backwards and forwards. To be fair, I do not know your contract so there may be some gains that i DO NOT KNOW ABOUT. But in the big areas like medical and retirement it seems to be lacking compared to what i HAVE NOW. You would probably not be happy to have the NWA contract and have us saying that you are getting huge pay raises etc.etc.etc. iF THE ROLE WAS REVERSED. That is life I guess.