Old 08-16-2008, 04:42 PM
On Autopilot
West Coast livin

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by Lori Clark View Post
nicale,

You're right, anyone reading your resume, or application, noting a short employment period will assume there were training issues and you were terminated – regardless of whether it was through resigning or firing. Unfortunately you really can't help that. But the good news is that most people will want to know what happened, not just rule you out because you didn't pass the "other guy's" training.

Without knowing the details of what happened it's difficult to advise. But like the others have stated, present the facts of what happened and if possible I would recommend presenting your training record from that employer.

It is all in the presentation - How you present what happened during your tenure at that company. Recruiters and interviewers will be looking for excuses as it just doesn't make sense that an employer would invest that much money in you only to terminate because you had a medical emergency in the family. Harsh, but true. Let's face it, you were in IOE, which means they already invested thousands in your sim training. It is in their best interest to get you on line and producing revenue. That is what will be going through the minds of the recruiters and interviewers.

You might have a hard time finding a job - given the state of the industry, not just this event on your resume. Everyone who is looking at possible furlough is out looking as well. Competitiveness has shot up dramatically and will continue to climb if airlines shut down or furlough. I don't know where you fall competitive-wise, so that's another difficult one to call.

I hope this helps and I wish you the very BEST.
Lori
O.K. Lori, here's a scenario, I have seen happen at a well known large regional.
I have seen both guys and gals get sent home after going through ground school etc. because they ran across a sim instructor whose personality was horrific. Even when these kids complained, the instructor was not removed and tried to fail them out of sim training. Most just simply resigned, others were asked to leave. I know of one guy from Alaska that was sent home after 3 sessions when he complained about the unprofessional conduct of his sim instructor. When a potential F.O. walks thru your door, and they tell you this story, how is that percieved and what would be the best way to explain that?

This is a sad but true fact of the industry, but for those who have had this experience, what is your recomendation?