View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 02:57 PM
the King
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: JS32 FO

Originally Posted by floridaCFII View Post
It's my understanding per FAR 61.195 that the 80% pass rate is only required if you're using the 400 dual given taught in an approved course method. If you're using the 24 calendar months and 200 dual given, you do not need the pass rate.
(h) Qualifications of the flight instructor for training first-time flight instructor applicants.
(2) Except for an instructor who meets the requirements of paragraph (h)(3)(ii) of this section, a flight instructor who provides training to an initial applicant for a flight instructor certificate must—
(i) Meet the eligibility requirements prescribed in §61.183 of this part;
(ii) Hold the appropriate flight instructor certificate and rating;
(iii) Have held a flight instructor certificate for at least 24 months;
(iv) For training in preparation for an airplane, rotorcraft, or powered-lift rating, have given at least 200 hours of flight training as a flight instructor;

And for (h)(3):
(3) A flight instructor who serves as a flight instructor in an FAA-approved course for the issuance of a flight instructor rating must hold a current flight instructor certificate with the appropriate rating and pass the required initial and recurrent flight instructor proficiency tests, in accordance with the requirements of the part under which the FAA-approved course is conducted, and must
(i) Meet the requirements of paragraph (h)(2) of this section; or
(ii) Have trained and endorsed at least five applicants for a practical test for a pilot certificate, flight instructor certificate, ground instructor certificate, or an additional rating, and at least 80 percent of those applicants passed that test on their first attempt; and
(A) Given at least 400 hours of flight training as a flight instructor for training in an airplane, a rotorcraft, or for a powered-lift rating;

So technically we were both wrong. It's 80% and 400 dual given or 200 dual given and at least 24 months. But that means you would have renewed your CFI at least once and would probably have the 80% completion, although that isn't required, which is what I got wrong earlier.