View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 06:27 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Air Pac

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Why would this be? Perhaps because they were operating on a small profit margin and were using timebuilders exclusively. Otherwise why would they be afraid their pilots would jump ship when they get so few extra hours. Not saying it wasn't so, just a curious operating model. You would think it to be cheaper to train a small, reliable, long term core of pilots and to keep them over the years rather than pay higher insurance rates and train all the time.
In the early 1990's Air Pac was the big stepping stone in the NW. Pilots would get hired there and had to stay for years before moving on to a regional. It was common to be there three years or more before being able to find a better job.

Then the industry began to pick up and pilots were not staying very long. Just a year ago I heard that Air Pac had a 6 month training contract. As such it is better to hire guys who fit the window than to spent a month training them only to have them leave a few weeks later.

Most companies have a similar window. After I was laid off I tried to get hired at several smaller cargo outfits and was told that I was "Over Qualified". They didn't want to hire a 757 guy and be used as a paycheck till I moved on. I just wanted a job.

SkyHigh