View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 03:20 AM
bus canuck
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A332/A340

Hey B757200ER,

What you've been told is correct. You can't come here without wife support. My family dynamic is similar to yours, but wifey was totally into the move. I have considered leaving here twice (because of delayed upgrades) and the wife talked me out of it both times. Wife happy, everyone happy.

We really like our life in Dubai, but it's an aquired taste - you either like it or you don't. Being from the West Coast as you are, is even harder. It's virtually half-way around the world and difficult to get home positive travel, never mind stand-by.

There's nothing wrong with the hotels. Probably a step up from my last job. The expense allowance is a rip-off, but no big deal. It's difficult for me to comment on your experinces with Brian. I thought posing as someone else and praising himself was pathetic, in the true sense of the word. The "concierge" service he bragged about was a bit irratating. The last 3 hotel deals EK announced offer "concierge" service to Captain's only. When you are a 3++ year F/O who has been lied to and delayed on Command, despite a high level of experience, you don't need a DEC gloating about his package. Anyway, the best true advice you'd get about such a move is talking to trusted friends at EK. Failing that, on these forums, Typhoon Pilot does a good job of being balanced.

Now as for hockey...well it'd be nice to see the Cup in Canada, but hey, I'm a Canuck's fan. It wasn't easy cheering for the Oilers. (Had if been the Flames, I'd of cheered for the 'Canes) Good game though and cool to be watching it in Dubai albeit at 0400!

Good luck with your career.

Last edited by bus canuck; 07-09-2006 at 03:28 AM.