Old 09-27-2008, 05:11 PM
757upspilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by ⌐ AV8OR WANNABE View Post
Good idea to create our own thread...

"...Someday the pilots that got the pay bump are going to figure out how much damage they did to themselves..."

757upspilot - can you please explain what you mean by that?

The way I see it the senior pilots such as yourself got the highest and frankly an unprecedented pay bump one could ever hope for - an extra 5 years of top captain pay! That’s a huge amount of extra money none of you could possibly be planning on getting since no one knew if and how the new law would be passed.

I really hope this won't turn into age 65 bashing party but I'm truly trying to understand why you think that the junior pilots "...one day [will] figure out how much damage they did to themselves..."

The way I see it, and obviously I'm very biased here, the senior pilots are the ones who literally won a multi-million dollar lottery so if anything in the next contract we should be asking for the FOs to be making maybe 70 or 80% of the captain's pay since it'll take 15 years plus to upgrade and some will never even make it to the left seat. I’m sure I’ll get slammed for saying that but I’m just expressing my honest opinion here and from talking to my friends I know I’m not alone to be thinking that way.

In my view due to the December 13th 2007 legislature, which was driven primarily by senior (or more accurately older) pilots at many airlines, the current contract isn’t really a pro-junior but rather a pro-senior pilot contract.

I am really trying to understand your view so please do not slam me for disagreeing with you but rather give me some arguments that a junior pilot, like myself, would find reasonable. Right now I'm perplexed to hear some senior captains actually think we have a "Robin Hood" contract which takes the senior pilots' dough and redistributes it to the junior guys/gals.

Think about it - why would we, junior pilots, care about bringing up senior captain pay rate when many of us will never even get a chance to be captains? …and if we do it’ll be just for a few years…

I hope you don't think my comment is disparaging toward you or other senior pilots - I simply think that realistically we should be looking for a contract which gives us the highest overall benefits during our entire tenure with the company, not just the last few years…

I hope to see some good pro and against arguments here…

Thanks…

Do you understand that the majority of Captains are not going to hang around past 60.

As I thought the junior guys ready to grab some more because the "deserve " it.

You need to look beyond the end of your nose and you will be able to figure it out.

If you can't you are sitting in the correct seat