Old 09-27-2008, 05:26 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Not kidding, you yourself just demonstrated that apathy is more prevalent than division. Correct, It is pathethic our apathy at the union meetings. However, it is able to be fixed. How? First, the EB has 2 meetings 8 hours apart every so often and expect high turnout? They need to have them 2 weeks in a row. That way they capture much more audience. Second, they need to have folks helping guide them out of the rat maze at SDF. As it is, they have no schedule. Sure, we are all grownups, but if an ANC or ONT pilot shows up, haven't been in SDF in awhile, they are not going to risk going through all the unkowns to attend the meeting during the sort. That is my empirical observations from questions I've asked. Administrative resolution would help folks choose to attend. The CB vote too is indicative of poor presentation by the EB IMO. The EB is invisible where it counts, on the line and at the sorts. Fix that visibility and would bet that folks would be more involved. It is a flesh and blood business being a union. Emails/websites and all are good, but if it is all faceless and electronic, am not surprised apathy sets in. Reason early IPA was so successful was it was personable and personal. You know that, I saw the end of that as a newhire. Now we are electronic and impersonal. We watch all our folks go to ANC and we rarely if ever really capture there personal attention.
Regarding pay, your Capt argument used to be true. No longer. The reality is, took me 10 years to make Capt (first available upgrade). That was before 65, and ANC domicile. Excepting the aberration of opening ANC, the move to the left seat is closer to the 13-15 year point. 65 assured that reality. Also, our demographic while opening ANC was hiring older folks in late 30's all the way to 50+ since UPS needed widebody experience to appease the FAA. Lots of furloughed folks from the legacies and you have a chopped up career like many of us have had. These folks will be F/O's much longer than they will be Capts. You want unity? Tell these 40-45 year olds hired in the last 2 years that they should support higher Capt pay using your argument. The reponse is predictable. <g>

Last edited by SaltyDog; 09-27-2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: speling