Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by 757upspilot View Post
Do you understand that the majority of Captains are not going to hang around past 60.

As I thought the junior guys ready to grab some more because the "deserve " it.

You need to look beyond the end of your nose and you will be able to figure it out.

If you can't you are sitting in the correct seat
How do you prove the majority are retiring at 60? So far the record is against that reality. We can pull up names if you want using all the folks that stayed on in 2008 and those that retired. The vast majority are staying. If the 2008'class' is any indication, very few fron the 2009 age 60 class are leaving. I have no animosity. None of us had a say. It is a reality that is no different than the one hundred things that have changed since I entered aviation.
Name calling of our older folks: I have been called names my whole career. Usually it is not with malice. I have never used those terms and believe the majority see it like Roberto, with grace and understand the frustration junior folks have. I have immense respect for all of the over 60 folks since they built a great opportunity for me at UPS. Am indebted to all the original guys. However, 20 years changes the dynamics that cannot be ignored. Many of the old arguments are not valid in the current environment.

Sense of entitlement: We all have a sense of entitlement. Yours is expecting a higher than won pay scale for Capts. The junior folks had a sense of entitlement to make Capt before 10-12 years. Well, the dynamics have changed. All of us have to adjust our sense of entitlements. <g>

My true desire is to see an engaged union. I am a Chair and work within my lane but believe with emphasis the union can be much more engaged. The company will eat us as you predict if we don't become engaged. That is a leadership issue. Like I said earlier, flesh and blood contact is necessary.

BTW, for the time being, I am in the correct seat <VBG>

Last edited by SaltyDog; 09-27-2008 at 08:35 PM.