View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 05:00 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Shaun

Originally Posted by Shaun
This coming from someone who isn't a professional pilot anymore (not trying to be negative, just pointing it out). I know you had bad times and got out, but it isn't that way for everyone. I wonder what people who are flying for a living would think about this. Those of you who are flying for an airline, do you agree with this?

You are right I did hear of a guy once who didn't mind the lifestyle. He was an AvDork who lived with his mother. Just kidding

In summary; imagine missing every major holiday, important friend and family event and weekends for the rest of your working life. You are awake when everyone else is asleep and are trying to sleep while the world is buzzing. After a few years the friends and family that you have left will all be buying homes, taking fancy vacations and building families while you decay in a two bedroom apartment with 6 other room mates. Every few years you get furloughed, transferred or take a new job. All this for 20K per year. After five to ten years you hopefully will upgrade and begin to gain enough seniority to a point where you can recover some of your life. Perhaps you could even earn as much as a postman, construction laborer or garbageman? If you get lucky someday you might get picked up by a major and you get to start all over again.

SkyHigh