View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 02:20 PM
usmc-sgt
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

As others have said there is a HUGE possibility that you will need to instruct. Not only will you need to instruct but you will need to instruct for a while. I think for the average regional if and when they start hiring 1000+TT with 200+ multi will be the absolute bare mins to be considered and even then to get hired you would probably need some good internal recs. Competitive will probably be closer to 2000TT with 500-1000ME and 500+turbine. There are many furloughed 121 guys looking for jobs including many guys at the majors.

It is a good thing and in a sense it restores the balance back to aviation. Pilots will instruct for 1000 or so dual given and flight school will keep their instructors and students will not have their CFIs bail out when they get their first gig. Secondly, planes and operations that probably should have a few thousand hours to be there will now have pilots with a few thousand hours doing the job. Instructing was a great time which I really enjoyed and was paid much better than I am now. The satisfaction of seeing my students grasp a concept because of something I did was very rewarding. I can tell when I fly with someone who did not instruct.