View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 03:13 PM
usmc-sgt
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Seven,
As bored mentioned optimistic is nice but you really need to be a realist. I just dont see anytime soon that a pilot would even stand a chance with 1000 hours and I do see 2000 being much more realistic. As mentioned plan for 2000 and be happy if you get on with 1500. It is not a bad thing or a kiss of death or a negative on you but it is the state of the industry. If I could find a job you could glady have my slot.

To put it into perspective with 2 examples. We have two street captains that were hired. One street captain flew on a CRJ for 5 years right seat with around 4000 in type he then went on and flew right seat in an A319 with a type rating in the plane. The other retired from the Air Force having flown their VIP DC9 (air force 1 paint scheme) and then flew cargo for near a decade as a captain flying international heavy. Neither of them could find a job anywhere to include other regionals and ended up here. Both had over 10,000 hours.

I have been trying to get into corporate and called a gentleman about a cessna 414 gig (which I have time in). I have right around 2000 hours with 1000 multi and 700 turbine and was told that he has resumes on his desk with guys who have 20 years experience and thousand of hours of heavy international PIC. FOR A PISTON LIGHT CABIN TWIN JOB! It stinks I know, this time last year I would have been nearly guaranteed that job because no one would have wanted it, now I couldnt buy my way into it. I think every member on this board to include the furloughed ones could tell countless stories of guys they know (or themselves) who have had or seen similiar experiences of this very dry market.

There are exceptions, there always will be guys with under 1000TT flying right seat in Gulfstream Vs but people also win the lottery after only buying 1 ticket. Sorry about the 70K loan and starting in the peak of the hiring boom and ending up with this however its the nature of the beast.